Now that you are a responsible parent of your newborn one, you need to make your travel plans wisely. As you would be traveling with an infant, there are several do’s and don’ts you both need to be aware of. Especially, when you are on the international flight spending the long tiring hours can become a bit stressful.
So, here are some helpful tips that can help you enjoy your flight journey with your baby:
• Prepare in advance- Make a list of the items that you need to take with you. You can pack all the unnecessary and extra stuff in the check-in luggage and the essential things that you will need in your hand luggage. Start making a list in advance, and as you remember things, you can keep adding to it. As you start packing, check off the items and this way you’re very unlikely to forget any baby essentials.
• Avoid last-minute shopping- As you need to carry specific items for your child (e.g. non-dairy formula, medicines, travel cot), make sure you buy them as far in advance as possible. If you leave it to last minute, you will increase your stress levels as that will just add to your to-do-list. Also, the last thing you want is to go the day before you travel and find that the particular item goes out-of-stock. If you shop in advance and cannot find something, you’ll have time to check other stores or order online.
• Check baggage allowances – Different airlines have different baggage allowances. Some allow you two pieces of hand luggage; one for you and one for the baby. Also, some allow you to take a buggy or a car seat in addition to your check-in baggage allowance. Some airlines may charge extra for this. It’s best to ring up the airline or check on their website so that you know exactly what you can take. And if you need to take something over and above your allowance, you can discuss this with your airline well in advance and find out what your options are.
• Booking the tickets- When booking your flights, either direct with the airline or through a travel agent, always ask for a seat with a sky cot/bassinet.
• Check current rules on carrying liquids – There are strict rules on carrying liquids and the amount you’re allowed to carry in your hand luggage. Check this before hand if you’re planning on taking milk, water, juice or any other liquids for your baby. And be prepared to have to taste it all at security.
All these guidelines can help you have a safe and comfortable trip with your little bundle of joy.